- Until Hemingway was four, his mother dressed him up like a girl to match his sister who was about year younger than he was. His hair was kept long as well.
- He hated the name “Ernest.”
- In World War I, he was denied entering the military due to very poor eyesight. He was only 17 at the time. He convinced the military to let him in as an ambulance driver.
- Hemingway once said of Fitzgerald that, “Scott thought that the rich are different from “you and me.” Hemingway felt they just had more money.
- Hemingway had a favorite hamburger recipe that has about 10 ingredients. I tried it once and didn’t find it worth all of those ingredients, which include garlic, green onion, India relish, capers, sage, Spice Island’s Beau Mond Seasoning, Spice Island’s Mairen Powder, one egg beaten, dry red or white wine, one tablespoon of cooking oil. He also had a notation noting soy sauce and tomato could be added at the end.
- Hemingway often wrote standing up. He liked it, but after the plane crashes in 1954, it hurt his back less to stand.
- Hemingway was married four times and was married to his fourth wife at the time of his death, Mary Welsh Hemingway. Hadley, his first wife, remained a good friend and preferred to be referred to as Mrs. Paul Mowrer as opposed to Hadley Hemingway. Martha Gellhorn, his third wife, never liked being referred to as his third wife and required that interviews not mention him.
- Hemingway survived exposure to anthrax, malaria, skin cancer, and pneumonia. He lived with diabetes, two plane crashes, a ruptured kidney, hepatitis, a ruptured spleen, a fracture skull, a crushed vertebrae. As we all know, it was his own hand that ultimately did him in.
- For five years his wife Mary insisted that his death was accidental as opposed to a suicide.
- Hemingway felt strongly that it was bad luck to talk about how he wrote and the writing process.
- Hemingway initially began to wear a beard due to a skin condition that made it painful to shave daily.
2 thoughts on “Some Hemingway Trivia”
very interesting and much more than i ever knew. particularly the mother dressing him as a girl….hhmmmm.
It is interesting. Perhaps why he became so macho?